Broken Hill has been called the Silver City, the capital of the outback, the oasis of the West.
Argent Street is the main street in the town.


www.visitbrokenhill.com.au

Argent Street

Broken Hill was founded in 1883 by a boundary rider called Charles Rasp who thought he discovered tin, but instead discovered silver and lead. The origan of the name Broken Hill came about from the original formation of the land comprising of a number of hills that appeared to have a break in them. Those original formations no longer exsist as they have since been mined away.

Broken Hill is Australia's longest-lived mining city, which is still in operation today. The mines were founded on the Broken Hill Ore Deposit, becaming the world's richest lead-zinc ore body and providing a major source of employment to the City.

Charels Rasp right

Before the 1940s, mining was achieved via hand with a high labor force included horse-drawn carts underground. In the 1940s the use of diesel powered mining equipment was introduced and as technology progressed underground mining became more mechanised, thus reducing the workforce considerably.

Old Mine Shaft on the Line of Lode